Wednesday, May 08, 2013

What are you reading, Reid McCormick?

For 2013 I set a pretty crazy goal: to read 50 books in one year. That's 52 weeks to read 50 books. So far I'm on pace, but more importantly I have dived into some amazing books written by some of the smartest people in the world. That's what I love about reading, it's like a personal mentoring session with the author.

Henri Nouwen is one of my favorite authors, which is evident in him being the most represented author in my library. I love his extraordinary ability to write about deep theological issues in relatively simple and relatable terms. It's a skill he probably acquired by working many years in the academe teaching at prestigious schools such as Harvard and Yale and then later serving at the L'Arche community of Daybreak.

When I saw that Nouwen had written In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership, a book specifically on Christian leadership, I could not wait to read it. Like most of Nouwen's works, it took me less than a day to read it, but it is a book I will not forget.

The book is a response to a simple question: what will Christian leadership need in the twenty-first century? Though written nearly 25 years ago, Nouwen's words still endure today. As recorded in Matthew 4, after spending forty days in the desert, Jesus was tempted three times. Nouwen walks us through each of these temptations and how they are relevant in our Christian leaders today.

Anyone who wants to serve in a ministry environment or serve in any industry with a Christ-like attitude will benefit greatly from this book.

I am a big fan of quotes and this is my favorite quote from this book: "The mystery of ministry is that we have been chosen to make our own limited and very conditional love the gateway for the unlimited and unconditional love of God."

Reid McCormick has been the Director of Housing and Men's Residence Life Coordinator since October 2012.


In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership by Henri Nouwen, Crossroad Publishing, 1989.

This book can be purchased from AmazonBarnes & Noble, and Better World Books.

You may also find this book at your local library by searching WorldCat.org.

We'd love to know what you are reading. To join the fun, fill out the "What are you reading?" questionnaire and submit it by following the instructions included.

No comments: