Monday, May 13, 2013

A Mother's Day Musing

Yesterday was Mother's Day. I was fortunate to be able to spend time with my mom in Colorado in the morning and then with my daughter back home in California in the evening. I'm sure when my mom was my daughter's age she would have never imagined such a thing.

While in Colorado I used my iPad to check my Facebook account. An HIU alumnus posted the following:

Taken from a personal post on Facebook (used with permission.)
This is "a princess computer, constructed from two books, an Etch-A-Sketch, and a wood block. She's been typing an email to [her best friend] for twenty minutes. She says she's using pretend wifi.


As of this writing, there are 38 Likes and 11 Comments on the post. My clever comment was, "I'm sure I've used that WiFi before. I hope she has better luck!"

I asked my friend and former library employee for permission to use the picture on this blog because her daughter was inspiring me. Permission was granted, so long as I didn't user her name. (Thank you!)

As a mom, I appreciated the observations of the proud mom. As a librarian, I marveled about what her world might be like when she is a college student as my daughter is now. I'm not concerned with "keeping up with the kids." I'm concerned about being prepared with appropriate educational technology and relevant methods. And preparing them for their future far beyond our imaginations.

That future will be here before we know it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Robin Hartman is Director of Library Services at Hope International University. She is curious about how the organization and communication of information shapes society and is committed to equipping students to impact the world for Christ.

No comments: