Monday, January 28, 2013

Scheduling Conflicts

Last summer I took an online course on using technology for time management. I had used Microsoft Outlook for email, calendar, and tasks but I had a problem with syncing with all of my devices. I was looking for something to make my life easier.

I am convinced that planning ahead makes daily life go smoother and I had hopes that somebody was going to make my gadgets help me do that.

I already had been using an "old school" academic (paper) calendar. It was too big to fit in my purse so I would rely on my smart phone when I was on the go. And then for Christmas, my sister bought me a nice planner that is just the right size for my purse.

Now I really have a problem. (Last weekend my daughter tried to get me to buy a "Mom's Manager" calendar to add to the collection. I said no.)

I have come to the conclusion that I will have to satisfice. I learned this word in my first MLIS course. In order to complete any assignment in Library/Information Science I would have to stop far short of exhaustive research. Practically speaking, we would never become librarians if we spent all the time required to learn everything about the subject.

Likewise, I will never effectively manage my time if I continue searching for the "best" time management tool. At some point I have to make something work to move ahead.

As classes get underway, thought-provoking assignments on interesting topics will pose a similar research problems for Hope students.

I recommend they not let mobile devices, digital apps, or analog time management tools distract them from planning ahead, starting early, being thorough, and knowing when to satisfice.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Robin Hartman is Director of Library Services at Hope International University. She is curious about how the organization and communication of information shapes society and is committed to equipping students to impact the world for Christ.

No comments: