Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Where are you now, Jason Hensley?

Continuing our theme for this year's National Library Week of featuring HIU alumni who are working in libraries, today we find out how Jason Hensley (BA 1999) got to where he is today from his introduction to library work as a student worker.

My journey into the library field began in 1994 at HIU. During my freshman year I began working as a student worker at the library. It was there that I discovered that the library environment was very fitting for my personality and the staff were great people to work with. After completing my BA in English in 1999, my first job was at the Tustin Library as a part time clerk, soon after I began working full time in the circulation department.

In 2005 I made the move to the administrative side of the library world, where I continue to work as the Community Relations contact for the 33 branches of the OC Public Libraries system. My current position involves promoting branch and system wide events and programs to the public and also keeping patrons informed of what the Library system has to offer them.

What I enjoy most about the job is that I’m able to use my creative side through graphic design, writing, and photography. I currently live just down the road from HIU in Placentia with my wife and daughter.

I hope to begin work on my MLS in the next year and become a Librarian, either working in a public library system or on the academic side at a University.


The Hensley Family

Trivia: Jason's sister, Jennifer (Hensley) Prest, also worked as a library assistant when she was a student at Hope!

No comments: