Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Where are you now, Cheryl Woods Dobbs?

Yesterday we introduced our National Library Week theme of featuring HIU alumni who are working in libraries. Today we find out how Cheryl (Woods) Dobbs (BA, 1983) got to where she is today since her days as a library student worker.
I attended PCC (Pacific Christian College) from 1979-1983, and worked at the library all four years under librarian Jeff Wilson. After receiving my English degree, I spent the next 12 years selling books and software to schools and libraries, but did not really consider becoming a librarian. When we moved to Indianapolis in 1995, I spent nine years staying home to homeschool our daughter. In 2001 I began to prepare for my next career: I finally went back to school to become a librarian.

In 2004 I graduated with my MLS and got my first professional job as a part time reference librarian at the Greenwood Public Library. Today I am the director of that library, and I love my job. The digital age is an exciting time to be a librarian – but by far the most rewarding part of my job are the patrons whose lives we impact every day.
Cheryl Dobbs, Greenwood Public Library Director (Greenwood, Indiana) 

Check out Cheryl's blog Frontline Librarian.

Trivia: Some might also remember Cheryl's mom, Shirley (Woods) Powell -- also a Librarian who served as our Interim Library Director at Hope in 1998-2000!

No comments: