Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What are you reading, Beth Baus?

I'm a Marriage and Family Therapist and I'm always reading books that might be helpful to some of my clients. I liked Jan Dravecky's A Joy I'd Never Known because it's written in a way that I believe people who are struggling with depression can relate to. In addition, it offers empathy and hope for change.

This book is an easy read and from a Christian viewpoint. It's a personal story that gives light on depression and anxiety and the need for a balanced, surrendered lifestyle. I take away the fact that many people experience some level of crisis in their life and feel a sense of loss or hurt. Nevertheless, there is always hope because we serve a great big God who really does love and care about us.

I have recommended A Joy I'd Never Known to several people who also enjoyed it and gained a lot from the insights the author shares. In fact, I would recommend it to anyone that is depressed or knows someone who is struggling with depression.

My usual reading habits have me in books fairly often. Nearly every day I am listening to something in audio format, mostly audio Bible. My favorite is the Word of Promise dramatized version of the New King James Version. It was produced with over 1,000 actors and is excellent! Even my kids love to listen to it. For inspiration, I love reading the Psalms or books written by Malcom Gladwell, such as Blink or The Tipping Point ... I LOVE his stuff!

As far as reading for my work goes, I just purchased a book called Safe People: How to Find Relationships that are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't by Henry Cloud. I look forward to reading it in my attempt to find material that might be helpful to people struggling with boundary issues. I also enjoy learning about various disorders and, therefore, for fun, I read things like Dr. Colbert's series on Fibromyalgia, Menopause, Anxiety, or Depression. He's a physician whose take on various disorders are more from a holistic viewpoint.

Beth D. Baus has been teaching in the Apostolic School of Theology here at HIU for just under two years and has taught at other colleges for several years as well. She holds an MS in Counseling Psychology, an MTS in Theological Studies, and is the author of three books as well as multiple articles for various publications. You can find out more information about her work by visiting OurHealthyFamilies.org. Beth has been married for twenty-nine years and is the mother of two grown children; her daughter Amber is a teacher in Beliz and her son Jordan is a marine.

A Joy I'd Never Known: One Woman's Triumph Over Panic Attacks and Depression by Jan Dravecky (with Connie Neal), Zondervan, 1998.

This book may be purchased at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, and Better World Books.

You may also locate this book at your local library by searching WorldCat.org.

Tell us what you are reading:
We'd love to know what you are reading. To join the fun, fill out the "What are you reading?" questionnaire and submit it by following the instructions included.

No comments: