Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What are you reading, Wende Holtzen?

In one of my grad classes at Chapman University we had a guest speaker from Gallup and he referenced 12: The Elements of Great Managing. I enjoy learning about the psychology behind motivating employees so they are more engaged in their jobs because being motivated in this way will ideally lead to a more fulfilled work life. I really enjoyed the book and I believe it has helped me by giving me insight by studying those employees who are satisfied with their jobs.

I learned a great deal from this book. First, I am very fortunate in that everyday I am given the opportunity at work to do what I do best and what I enjoy. As I read through the book, I gained insight so that I can help other employees here at the University create environments that foster engagement. Working in a Strengths-based school, I am a firm believer in finding a job where our strengths are used. When employees enjoy what they do and find fulfillment in the workplace, great things happen.

I would definitely recommend this book to all our managers/directors here at the University. There is great value in employee engagement and if managers can identify what motivates an employee to do their best, great things can happen in the workplace. Gaining insight into what our employees need is very helpful and demonstrates the value that we place on those we supervise. I think this book is very valuable to managers because it explains what employees need to find satisfaction in their work.

I don't usually read anything specific for fun or inspiration, just whatever catches my eye at Borders. Once I finish 12, I have a John Grisham novel, Ford County, on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I read mostly during the week at night before I go to bed.

Wende Holtzen has worked at the University for 11 years: 8 years as the Administrative Assistant to the Dean and the last 3 ½ years as the Director of Human Resources. She is married to Dr. Wm. Curtis Holtzen, who teaches here at HIU as Associate Professor of Philosophy and Theology, and she is the mother of Roman Holtzen, who attends HIU in the undergraduate program.

12: The Elements of Great Managing by Rodd Wagner and James K. Harter, Ph.D. Gallup Press, 2006.

This book may be purchased at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and Better World Books.

You may also find this book at your local library by searching WorldCat.org.

Tell us what you are reading:
We'd love to know what you are reading. To join the fun, fill out the "What are you reading?" questionnaire and submit it by following the instructions included.

No comments: