Wednesday, May 01, 2013

What are you reading, Bryan Sands?

The book I have read more times than any other, not including the Bible, is Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. This is either my third or fourth time reading this classic. I received this book as a gift while I was completing my studies here at Hope--and have referred back to it many times throughout the years.

This book is broken into three parts: The Inward Disciplines, The Outward Disciplines, and The Corporate Disciplines. Within the three parts are various spiritual disciplines that correspond. For example, under the Inward Disciplines there is "prayer" and "study," Under the Outward Discipline there is "solitude" and "service," and under the Corporate Discipline there is "confession" and "celebration."

As I continue to read, I plan on practicing each spiritual discipline as a way to grow deeper in the Lord. I am always challenged when I pick up this book because I am reminded of how much more growth I have to do. At the same time, however, I am also encouraged by the grace of God. It is amazing that the Creator of everything allows us to draw near to Him!

My favorite quote in the book is, "Prayer catapults us onto the frontier of the spiritual life. Of all Spiritual Disciplines prayer is the most central because it ushers us into perpetual communion with the Father."

Bryan Sands has been the Director of Campus Ministries at Hope for the last 2 years. 

Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, Harper: San Francisco, 1998.

This book can be purchased from AmazonBarnes & Noble, and Better World Books.

You may also find this book at your local library by searching WorldCat.org.

We'd love to know what you are reading. To join the fun, fill out the "What are you reading?" questionnaire and submit it by following the instructions included.

No comments: