Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Why are you a librarian, Lindsey?


When I began college, like most students, I had little idea what I wanted to do with my life. After beginning my first semester, I quickly realized that I was far more interested in my philosophy and theology classes than any other class. So without further ado, I declared both as my majors. However, I still didn’t have a definitive answer to questions about my future career. Fortunately, I had encouraging parents who were supportive of my "non-career focused" majoring decision, and as I progressed through college, theology and ministry were an integral part of my life.

During all of this indecision, I was lucky to have been employed in the theological library as a student at Azusa Pacific, where I discovered that assisting others research, learn, and (hopefully!) grow in their faith was an incredible way to pour into the lives of others. I didn’t know at the time what it would look like, but I knew that I wanted to help equip others in this area as well. I know that much of my time writing and wrestling with certain topics for papers in college shaped the way I view God, the church, and theology; and to be a part of that process for others is one way that I can help future pastors, accountants, teachers, doctors…any student…work through those things as well.

In light of all that, I finished a graduate program in Library and Information Science with the intent to work specifically at a Christian university and/or as a theological librarian and have continued on working toward a MA in Theological Studies to complement my information science degree…I suppose that the short answer to the question of why I became a librarian is that, in many ways, I view my job as a form of ministry, and I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else.

No comments: