Wednesday, March 06, 2013

What are you reading, Dr. Jeremiah?

I recently read the book The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert. It was recommended to me by a friend who knows that I like reading about World War II. I enjoy reading about events right before, during, and after the war.

I think this book is a great commentary on what children went through during and after this awful time in world history. The writing is excellent with a completely different style. The story is described using many conversations without explanations. It is also a compilation of several characters and how it all comes together. This all gives a glimpse of the German "guilt," which still lingers today.

I liked how the author was able to take me through the war, prior, during, and after, by using more of a prose style rather than the traditional read. At some points it lacks substance, but I could get through those points by being involved in the mindset of the characters and what they went through. It is not the style that I would read with enthusiasm many times, but the subject is so fascinating to me that it kept me going.

After reading this book, I was reminded once again of that horrible war and how so many innocent people suffered indescribable atrocities. Reading this book also reminded me of how guilt can take over a society for generations even when those who feel the guilt had nothing to do with the reason for the guilt.

I would not recommend this book to everyone. Anyone who wants a fast moving story with intrigue and mystery would not be a good candidate to read this. Some feel it would be a good read for high school age students.

I always have more than one book going at a time. I am also currently reading How the Mighty Fall by Jim Collins. I read many books on climbing, especially those that concern Mt. Everest. For spiritual enrichment and inspiration, I read books by Dr. David Jeremiah, not only because he is my brother, but because of the practical application to the scriptures. I also enjoy reading books by Charles Swindoll. For fun, I have read most of the books by David. Baldacci.

Dr. Maryalyce Jeremiah is an adjunct professor here at Hope who was been working here for the last year and a half. She works for the College of Business Management as the Program Developer for the Sport Management concentration.

The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert, Vintage Canada, 2002.

This book can be purchased from Barnes & Noble and Better World Books.

You may also find this book at your local library by searching WorldCat.org.

We'd love to know what you are reading. To join the fun, fill out the "What are you reading?" questionnaire and submit it by following the instructions included.

No comments: