Wednesday, December 07, 2011

What are you reading, Ezzie Bueno?

I was watching the 2004 cast of the Phantom of the Opera, and I decided to read the original novel by Gaston Leroux before watching the 1986 musical. It was a great combination of music, horror and suspense! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a great horror novel, and it is not required that the reader like opera to enjoy it fully.

I like this book's characters, setting and plot. I think the opera ghost is amusing when he whispers to people while remaining invisible. Also, I find it amazing that Christine would take lessons for months without seeing the phantom. Aside from these elements of the story, however, I've learned two important lessons from the author. First of all, I've learned that we shouldn't take things that we don't understand simply as jokes. Secondly, I've learned that we should question what we see and know before accepting the conclusions that seem obvious to us. Later, we could regret them deeply!

I'm unsure of what will be next on my reading list, and I'm open to any recommendations that I can get! Prior to attending Hope International University, I would read two long books in a month. Before Halloween this year, I decided that I needed to get back into the habit by reading at least three more books before 2012 comes rolling around. I like to read horror novels, along with books that cover paranormal and demonic happenings. I may even read another of Stephen King's books. I also enjoy reading J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. (Harry Potter will always rule over Twilight!) Finally, finding good books from authors I've never heard of is also one of my passions.

Ezzie Bueno is majoring in Social Sciences, Secondary Education here at Hope International University, and her goal is to become a social studies instructor at a junior high or high school. In her spare time, Ezzie likes to read, explore, watch movies, and hang out with her friends.

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux, this edition published by Createspace, 2010.

This book may be purchased from Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, and Better World Books.

You may also borrow this book from the Darling Library, or from your local library by searching WorldCat.org.

We'd love to know what you are reading. To join the fun, fill out the "What are you reading?" questionnaire and submit it by following the instructions included.

No comments: