Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What are you reading, Steve La Rusch?

My son is going to play volleyball at Long Beach State and his coaches are having the team read Leading With The Heart by Mike Krzyzewski, the basketball coach at Duke University. This inspired my wife and I to start reading it as well, and we couldn't put it down!

I would recommend this book to anyone, regardless of their interest in basketballit has applications for all of life. Moreover, Krzyzewski's simple style guarantees that every reader will learn something new. In my case, the biggest "take-aways" were useful organizational skills and insights into new aspects of teamwork which have applications to business and focusing on the task at hand.

I don't normally have the time to sit down and read an entire book, and I really couldn't tell you what I will pick up next. Leading With The Heart was an easy read, and I couldn't put it down. (My wife read it in a couple of hours, and it only took me a month! I'm a bit of a slow reader.) However, usually my interests include small articles on volleyball or National Geographic magazines. I also enjoy research articles on sport improvement; i.e., articles on nutrition, conditioning, and the latest workout philosophies.

Steve La Rusch has been here at Hope coaching women's volleyball for three years now, all while juggling the Health classes which he has been teaching for twenty years at Long Beach Polytechnic High School. He has been married for twenty three years and has two children; Sabrina, his daughter, attends HIU and is on the team. For fun, Steve enjoys spending as much time with his wife as possible, whether it is out camping or just going on walks.

Leading With The Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life by Mike Krzyzewski and Donald T. Phillips, Warner Books, 2000.


This book may be purchased online at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, and Better World Books.

You may also find this book at your local library by searching WorldCat.org.


We'd love to know what you are reading. To join the fun, fill out the "What are you reading?" questionnaire and submit it by following the instructions included.

No comments: