Wednesday, May 04, 2011

What are you reading, Joe Grana?

I picked up The Christian Delusion because I know the editor, John Loftus. He went to the seminary that I attended and we had the same professors. He also preached at a church that people from my home church had started.

Loftus' book was well written, but very biased. While he definitely raises hard questions, he offers only quick answers. His book did give me a clearer look into the 'atheist mindset', however, and that will probably be my biggest takeaway. I would recommend it to everyone with a solid Biblical, theological and philosophical background.

I read as I can, but with all the reading needed for class preparation and grading, personal reading gets pushed back. I usually have three or four books going at one time, and I work my way through them slowly. The next books on my list will probably be The Externally Focused Quest, coauthored by Eric Swanson and Rick Rusaw, and No Man is an Island by Thomas Merton. For fun, I love reading books about baseball!

Dr. Joseph C. Grana II is a Professor of Biblical Studies and has been teaching here at HIU for nearly 24 years. He enjoys going on adventures with his family and is an avid sports fan, especially when the Chicago Cubs are playing! Dr. Grana is pictured above with Jim "Mudcat" Grant (left) and "Hall of Famer" Gaylord Perry (right).


The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails edited by John W. Loftus, Prometheus Books, 2010.

This book may be purchased at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, and Better World Books.

You may also locate this book at your local library by searching WorldCat.org.

Tell us what you are reading:
We'd love to know what you are reading. To join the fun, fill out the "What are you reading?" questionnaire and submit it by following the instructions included.

No comments: