Wednesday, September 08, 2010

What are you reading, Professor Stevens?

I read Outliers because I loved a couple of other books by the author, Blink and The Tipping Point. Mr. Gladwell has a fascinating viewpoint on life that tells more than a surface look at circumstances would tell. He does a great job of debunking common misconceptions about success in this book. I loved this book so much that I'll be buying copies for each of my children to read. There are many things in the book that could apply to the success or lack thereof for my grandchildren. However, I would recommend it to anyone at any stage of life. It's never too late to change habits or plans and move towards the plan that God has for you. The subject and content of this secular book fits into Proverbs 22:29, "Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before Kings; he will not serve before obscure men."

I try to read varied items and am currently in the middle of The Sushi Economy, Stop Acting Rich: How to Live Like a Real Millionaire, and Hot, Flat, and Crowded, with a David Baldacci novel waiting to be read. Some of these fit into my academic discipline of business and some are just for fun. I make liberal use of the public libraries, including downloading some books to be listened to on my smart phone. I try to only rarely purchase books.

Professor Russ Stevens is an adjunct assistant professor in the College of Business and Management and has been with the University 8 years. He teaches primarily business courses, but also teaches Personal Financial Planning.

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell. Little, Brown & Company, 2008.

Available from Hatchette Book Group, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Better World Books.

May also be ordered from the HIU Bookstore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you download books to listen to from the public library on your phone!